Tuesday, December 1, 2015

FYI re: A Purina Pet Food Product



The websites below deal with the subject and were of interest.  

About Dog Treat Settlement

Awhile back I purchased a bag of chicken jerky treats (Waggin’ Train chicken Jerky Tenders) for dogs from a Grocery Outlet store.  I was a bit hesitant to get them as they were made in China, but they were a Purina product, and a very good price, so I got them.  

Reading the bag, I noted that it said ”Daily Maximum Number of pieces based on your dog’s weight -  (for my dogs) 21-40 lbs., 2 treats.  I thought this was a bit odd, as I had never seen a treat-limiting recommendation advisory on any kind of treat bag before. 

Since the treats vary widely in size – 1” to 5” or 6” in length, this recommendation a bit confusing, so I decided to err on the side of caution.  The dogs really like them, but I noticed that one time after giving my younger dog 2 biggish treats in one day, she had a urinary “accident” inside.  This is not consistent with her normal behavior.  She also was paying a lot of attention to her “bottom,” and seemed surprised – not to say chagrined at her “accident.”  There was no change in her stool.  

The dog in question had no other changes in food or water intake in the immediate time period around her “accident.”  I suspected the chicken jerky, so I stopped giving them to either dog.  There have been no further “accidents.”

I do not know if my dog's "accident" was connected to her consuming these treats, but I know I will not be feeding any more of them to her. 





More HERE