Saturday, December 12, 2015

Pony Gender Identity Question

Someone asked, "Was I the only one who thought Rainbow Dash was a boy?"
Dashie got 'tude!

Short answer - NO.

I thought Dashie, Applejack, Scootaloo, DJ Pon, and Derpy were all boys for awhile.  I still get a little baffled by the Wonderbolts.  I called Dashie "him" for a long time - still slip up once in a while. But Dashie was my favorite at first.  But I didn't like Rarity or Pinky Pie too much back then - too girly.  Now I love them all, especially Pinky.  Oddly, Dashie is only my 7th favorite pony now - but I still think she has the best color-scheme.

Applejack "gettin' 'er done"

Apple Bloom, Sweetie Belle & Scootaloo (far right)

Derpy Hooves
Cranky Doodle Donkey

DJ Pon 3 and puzzled by-stander

I get that part of Lauren Faust's deal was doing empowered female characters, and I think that's a really good and important thing.  But the show sometimes feels a little unbalanced to me - and the regular male characters less developed.  They have done better in season 5 with this, especially with Big Macintosh (what hidden depths he turned out to have!)  And then there's Cranky Doodle and Troubleshoes.
Double Diamond

Shining Armor

Troubleshoes Clyde

Princess Big Macintosh

I know I'm in the minority in liking the Troubleshoes episode a lot.  I think a lot of it is how he is drawn.  That face!  I also like the look of Double Diamond, but I hate the way he takes.  And don't get me started on Shining Armor.  Eeeesh!  Too cookie-cutter Prince!

But Dash was an intriguing character for me.  I was a censured tomboy as a girl - always catching hell for hating pink, dolls and dresses.  I loved horses, climbing trees and hanging out with my animals.  I wanted to be a boy.  If I'd been born 25 years later I probably would be a boy now.

Dash was so at home in her competitive, brash persona - like I couldn't be - I just naturally thought she must be a boy.  But once I learned she was a girl, I was happy that she could be who she was without fear.  And the acceptance that she had from the other Mane Six - even Rarity - made me love them all even more.

Rainbow Dash & Rarity
Pinky Pie!