Wednesday, February 3, 2016

The Saved Saving the Savior



She Saved a Puppy and Found the Strength to Leave Her Abuser
  

The Dodo  By Hudson Hongo  Feb. 03, 2016

When she took in a tiny husky three years ago, Amanda Trop thought she was adopting a puppy named Kyro. In reality, however, she was bringing home the dog that would give her back her life.
"To this day he still is the one who rescued me," writes Amanda, "not the other way around."

At the time, Amanda was trapped in a relationship with a controlling, abusive boyfriend. After he isolated her from her friends and family, Amanda says, the man she began dating when she was just a teen started hitting her, leaving her with black eyes and bloody noses.

"He'd come home from work stressed or upset and I ended up being his punching bag," Amanda told KIRO 7 News. "You get beaten down and you feel stuck and trapped. I don't think anybody that hasn't been in this situation would know how that feels."


After volunteering to help raise a litter of huskies abandoned by their mother, however, Amanda found something worth living for in a "chunky puppy" named Kyro.

"He became pretty much my only source of happiness," said Amanda.

At first, Amanda says outings with Kyro became an excuse for temporarily escaping her abuser, but when the helpless puppy also became a target of her boyfriend's rage, she knew she had no choice but to finally leave him for good.

"It's like, 'it's not okay to hit me but it's especially not okay to hit him,'" said Amanda, "that's kind of when everything changed and turned around."


Since then, Amanda has been documenting her new life of adventure with Kyro on Facebook and Instagram and encouraging others caught in the cycle of abuse not to give up hope.
"It has not be easy to relive the memories of the past abuse, but my goal is to help inspire others that are in (or were in) situations like mine," writes Amanda. "You will find yourself again. I found my four-legged knight — who knows where yours is waiting?"

Unfortunately, Amanda is not alone: According to some studies, over 70 percent of women in domestic violence shelters say their abuser has threatened, injured or killed a pet.


To get help escaping an abusive situation, visit the National Domestic Violence Hotline's website or call 1-800-799-SAFE. Or, to learn how you can increase protections for animal-owning victims of domestic violence and their pets, visit the ASPCA's website.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't usually give a lot of blog room to these kind of stories, but this one really struck me as important.  

One thing in particular really stood out for me.  I'm going to say it loud...

Unfortunately, Amanda is not alone: According to some studies, over 70 percent of women in domestic violence shelters say their abuser has threatened, injured or killed a pet.

I think it really sucks that someone would kill someone's pet - or any animal, for that matter. But
to threaten, harm or kill the pet of someone who is probably too frightened to come to that animal's aid is the height of cowardice.  

I've seen this kind of thing, and it makes my blood boil. No one has ever been so ill-advised as to try getting abusive with me - well, there was one guy who hit me once, but I threw him off a third-floor balcony for it.  Last I saw of him they were loading him into an ambulance.  

But I have seen how women who were being abused were unable to get free of their persecutors.  To have the additional guilt of a beloved pet being abused or killed.  I can't imagine it.  And no one should have to endure it.  

If you know of someone in an abusive relationship, share this story with them.  It's a sad fact that people who cannot find the courage to get out of a toxic relationship to help themselves, will sometimes scrape up the courage to leave to protect another.  And I say, "Whatever works is good."
 

No comments: