Sunday, May 29, 2016

Avian Pliers



from: Archie McPhee's Geyser of Awesome
 
The Department of Extraordinary Upcycling loves these sculptures of birds made by artist Kathy Boortz using old metal tools such, rebar, and wood.


 “Whitaker the Cockatoo” by Artist Kathy Boortz. Photographed by J R Compton.
If you read my blog, you know I have an Umbrella Cockatoo and Maine Coon Cats - kept very far apart from each other! So I was so happy when I saw this clever Cockatoo sculpture by Kathy Boortz.

What can you do with found objects? This sculpture is made with found pliers for the body (Whitaker brand), rebar for the feet, and it stands 6.5″.

You can find more of Kathy Boortzes’ birds at the Dallas Arts Review here. All photos by J R Compton.

Another “pliers’ bird”, is Kathy Boortzes’ “Starling”, 2010, found and sculpted metal and wood. Photo by J R Compton.





1 comment:

Molly Kate said...

I especially like the starling! Altogether cool.