Friday, June 24, 2016

Cracking the Windows Isn't Enough to Keep Your Dog Alive



By The Time Help Arrived, It Was 160 Degrees in This Car 
  

The Dodo  by Christian Cotroneo  Jun. 24, 2016

While her owners basked in the air-conditioned comfort of a shopping mall, this little dog was gasping for air in a brutally overheated car.

In fact, the temperature in Sacramento, California, was around 91 degrees on Thursday — more than enough to turn the car where the dog was left to wait for her owner into an oven.

When firefighters arrived on the scene, after being called by a concerned passerby, they found the temperature inside the car had reached 160 degrees.

"Unacceptable," the Sacramento Fire Department wrote in a tweet. "When warm, never leave pets in cars."

Luckily for this dog, firefighters pried her from this deathtrap just in time.

When the owners returned to the car, they were fined by police, KCRA 3 reports, while the dog was surrendered to animal control.

It's shaping up to be a sad summer for pets in cars. Already, we've seen case after case of people leaving their dogs to swelter — and we know the results are often fatal.

Temperatures surge inside cars — 80 degrees outside, for example, can spell 99 degrees inside in just minutes.

And even if it's only in the low 70s, the temperature can skyrocket to 116 degrees within an hour, according to the Humane Society of the United States.


For information on what you should do if you see a pet trapped in a hot car,
click here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bottom line:  If you're going somewhere that dogs can't accompany you, and might have to be left in the car - leave them at home!

No comments: