Monday, September 19, 2016

Vive la France!



France Just Became the First Country to Ban Plastic Cups, Plates and Cutlery
Bored Panda  9/19/16 by​ Rokas L 

Image credits: Mr.TinDC

Following its ban on plastic bags in July, France took it a step further. A new measure took effect last month, which forces plastic dish manufacturers to start making their products only from biodegradable material by 2020.


Ecologists are applauding the new law, but not everybody is happy. Some speculate that it violates European Union rules on free movement of goods and hurts the consumers. “We are urging the European Commission to do the right thing and to take legal action against France for infringing European law. If they don’t, we will,” Pack2Go Europe, an organization representing European packaging manufacturers told The Associated Press.



The ban aims not only to reduce the pollution caused by plastic, but to lower the energy consumed and waste produced by the plastic processing industry.

(h/t: bigstory, mashable | Facebook image: Emilia Lives Life)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

People need to get over the notion that everything needs to be easy for them all the time.  Oh, horrors!  You mean you might have to wash something?


Image the tonnage of plastic bottles, forks, spoons, etc. that will not be dumped in landfills because of this law.  

I take my own take-out container when I go to a restaurant, in case I have left-overs.  I use regular plates, utensils and whatnot at home, and I carry chopsticks, a spoon and a fork in a little cloth bag in my purse.




I think there should be a tax for beverage bottles smaller than at least two servings.  A substantial tax.  Let people use a glass or other kind of bottle from home.  I see my neighbor unloading cases of tiny little bottles of water for her to drink at her antique shop.  How many microbeads in a case of single-serving plastic bottles of water?  I don't know, but I bet the number wouldn't fit on this page!

 
"Plastic water bottles generate 1.5 million tons (1.5 billion kilograms) of plastic waste every year. 17791435385 liters of oil are required for producing so many bottles per year.


Even though plastic bottles should be mandatory recycled, the fact that 80% of bottles are non-recycled and end up as garbage is frightening.


Most of the trash ends up in oceans. And thanks to the slow decay (minimum 1,000 years), every plastic bottle ever produced, no matter where – still exists."


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a titanium spork in my backpack, and I put together a little picnic kit (recycled airline food tray, bowl, cup, and tableware) for attending barbecue parties. It's not difficult, really -- just needs a little forethought. Anybody out there remember forethought?