Friday, October 14, 2016

I've Seen Fire and I've Seen Rain

Last night the first rain of the season arrived.  This was a welcome event.  My grass, planted in April, received it's first good rain.  There are tiny sounds of raindrops and verdant celebration in my back yard.

But there was another series of events set in motion by our rain shower.  Power poles, loaded with electricity-conducting wet soot started bursting into flame.  Estimates of 30 to 100 poles were affected, and there were power outages.  The one that affected my place lasted about 2 1/2 hours. 

photo: Bob Jacobson
 
Fortunately, I slept through it.  I was awake briefly when the pole closest to me emitted a flash of light that lit the interior of my bedroom, and gave a sharp c-r-r-r-r-ack!  This was about 5AM.

One of my friends, who is still on Quebec time after a two-week trip, was awake and managed to get a picture with his phone.  It's a bit fuzzy - one doesn't want to get too close to a burning power pole with a transformer on it - but it's a pretty dramatic pic, anyhow.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un-FO8iXCrA

Fire and Rain