Saturday, October 22, 2016

The Really Big Picture



 
The Department of Awesome Natural Wonders can’t come to the phone right now, their jaws are all on the floor thanks to this spectacular photo by American professional photographer Mike Mezeul II in Hawaiʻi Volcanoes National Park on the Big Island of Hawai’i. In one single long-exposure shot Mezeul managed to capture the Milky Way, the Moon, a meteor, and river of molten lava flowing from an erupting volcano.


Getting this phenomenal photo was no easy feat because it required a 13 mile hike to reach the volcano and then only a few seconds to shoot because there was such a great risk of injury so close to the lava.
“I was literally in shock,” he told The Huffington Post. “It was my third frame to shoot after the sun had set, and after I saw the meteor, I knew I couldn’t beat that image, so I packed it up and headed back.”

Visit Mike Mezeul II’s website or follow him on Instagram to check out more of his amazing adventure photography.


No comments: