Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Agriculture Now and Way Back Then

Over on Terrierman this morning, I saw a video of a machine that chops the heads off of tulips in the Netherlands.  They do this so the bulbs will get the benefit of the energy that the plant would otherwise send to the flowers.  Later, the bulbs are harvested.  Here's the video.  It's rather hypnotic.


I went looking for more and found this video on a year on a tulip farm.


This led me to another video about several different agricultural machines the separate food crops from their fields.  I especially enjoyed the contraption that digs up daikon (radishes) in Japan. (Don't look for the quad-copter sprayer pictured here - it's not in the video.)


After all those big, busy machines, I craved something a bit more bucolic, and I found this bit of British nostalgia entitled "A Day in the Hayfields (1904)"


Then I found this vintage Footage of Horse-Drawn Combines in the Early 1900s (narrated in the 1930s, and in 1938 in the Palouse, and made for Washington State University.)


No comments: