Sunday, December 4, 2016

So Long, Chicken Dinner

I've had a craving for fried chicken for about a month now.  Today I was hanging out with a friend and I told her that I needed her to be my "sponsor."  (My friend is a vegetarian.)  

I quit eating pigs and poultry a couple of years ago.  I don't like the way those animals are treated - the way they're raised, housed, fed or slaughtered.  Especially the poultry.  There are no laws to protect poultry, and precious few to protect pigs.  


Anyway, I asked my friend to be my sponsor because I could feel myself weakening...  Fried chicken and fried okra.  Not good for me, but tasty!


My friend told me to go have some fried chicken.  Even offered to give me a ride to the place I like.  We agreed to meet at my place a half an hour or so later, and she went home to feed her pets.  

I went home and sat down in front of the computer.  I checked my e-mail and had a look at my blog.  Then the guilt started to creep in.  But crunchy, hot, battered chicken skin was calling.  And fried okra was singing sweet, sweet harmony.  

There was too much noise in my head.  The competition between the "eat the chicken" forces, and the "you said you weren't going to do that any more" forces was getting loud.  I had to do something.  So I thought, "What do drunks do when they feel the call of the bottle?"  

They go to a meeting!

So I went to You Tube.  I watched a video.  A couple of videos.  These ones:





 These chickens reminded me why I quit eating poultry.  I called my friend and told her to stand down.  No going to the chicken place.  It would be rush-hour traffic anyway.  

I watched another video.  This one:


That did it.  I made a bowl of spaghetti.  It was OK.  But I have my self-respect.   

 Safe for another day...

No comments: