Friday, April 7, 2017

More on the Shooting of Rashanda Franklin

Richmond shooting: Daughter planned to file restraining order, mother says

eastbaytimes  by George Kelly | |PUBLISHED: April 6, 2017 UPDATED: April 7, 2017

RICHMOND — A woman fatally shot in front of two of her three children, while she was driving them to school earlier this week, had planned to file a restraining order against her ex-boyfriend, her mother said.

As family members mourned Rashanda Franklin, 29, the man arrested on suspicion of her murder, Lawyer Dushan McBride, was in custody at Martinez County Jail on Friday, on $3.1 million bail. He is facing first-degree murder charges and is set to be arraigned Monday.

Barbara Harris said her daughter had received restraining-order documents Monday evening from Richmond police but never got a chance to file them against McBride, 43, of San Pablo.

“Monday, he came over to my house, as she was here with me,” Harris said. “He was very persistent, and she called police on him. They came out and patted him down and talked to him. They didn’t consider him to be a threat, and let him go. They gave her some paperwork to go down and get an order. She didn’t get a chance to pursue it.”

Harris said McBride was stalking Franklin.

“He knew her morning routine was to take her boys to school. They had to be there at 8:30 a.m., and she would be in that area in the morning.”

The shooting happened around 8:40 a.m. Tuesday at the intersection of Rheem Avenue and 29th Street, police said.

Franklin left her 3-year-old son with Harris and borrowed her mother’s silver Jeep SUV to take her 5- and 9-year-old sons to daycare when she saw McBride in a 2007 silver four-door Mercedes Benz S550 with paper plates following her, police said.

She drove around the area trying to avoid him but when she stopped at the intersection, the suspect drove his car ahead and stopped in front of her, police said.

The suspect then got out of his car, walked up to the Jeep and after a brief argument, police say he shot Franklin in front of her children. He then fled in his car. Franklin died at the scene. The children were not physically hurt.

Harris said she got a ride from a neighbor to the scene after hearing the tragic news.

“I can’t understand why he would feel the need to shoot my child,” Harris said. “So what, you argue? 

People argue all the time, say things they don’t mean. But what do you have now?”

She said her daughter was working and attending cosmetology school in Alameda to learn how to be a hairstylist.

“She always had a smile on her face. She was my baby. During my recent illness, she did whatever I wanted her to do. I wouldn’t change anything except for her death. That was senseless. It just wasn’t called for,” Harris said.

Harris, who was born and raised in Richmond, said she had seen others in her faith community at Agape Love Community Church cope with the weight of an untimely loss.

“You hear about these incidents, but  I never thought it would come down to my level,” Harris said. “We have members who have sons who have been gunned down in the streets but, like I said, it’s a whole different thing. You don’t think of it that way.”

This week, that community has comforted the Harris’ family, she said.

“I’m thankful there are a lot of people that stepped up to plate and helped our family apprehend him. I’m thankful police got him in custody.”

She was also grateful to the residents who live near the intersection of the shooting and had surveillance camera footage of the fatal confrontation and helped retrieve her grandchildren from the Jeep.

“There will be a day when I will be able to thank them for helping get some closure for my child,” she said.

A pair of GoFundMe accounts were set up to benefit Franklin’s children and Harris.

“All the love, support and condolences is appreciated,” Franklin’s sister Erika Porter wrote. “Keep everybody lifted in positive vibes And positive spirits. Shan Shan might be gone but she is here in my heart. Love you sis.”

No comments: