Tuesday, June 13, 2017

What Is It About Donnie Darko?

So, I may be the last person to have not seen "Donnie Darko," but at last I have changed that.  

I have heard the title mentioned a number of times, but never heard or read a discussion of the movie.  

Awhile back I posted a video of a countdown here.  Numbers from 100 to zero, as spoken in films are seen/heard.  I had to replay part of the countdown to understand the number 28.  If you missed it, you can watch it here.


A couple of days later I received a copy of "Donnie Darko" from Netflix.  I wasn't really expecting it because I had misplaced the two Netflix discs that I got before that, and it was before I got those that I put "Donnie Darko" on the list.  Several weeks had elapsed between me putting the disc in my queue, and my receipt of it.

So it was co-incidence that I got my Netflix disc within a couple days of first seeing Frank.   (Although, Frank might disagree.)  For the one or two of you that haven't seen "Donnie Darko," Frank is a 6-foot-tall bi-pedal rabbit with serious dental issues, and in dire need of a manicure.)


Anyway, I watched the movie today.  Though really dated, it was very interesting.  Fun.  Weird.  A little scary.  The plot was rather complicated, and really strange.  I liked it.  I ordered a blu-ray box-set of it with extra doo-dads from Amazon.  This is a movie I will probably watch a number of times.  

I don't think I could explain the movie if I tried.  I understood it on a sort of subconscious level, and I'm never much good at translating non-verbal stuff into a string of sensible sentences. If you really want an explanation of the film, try going HERE. Or HERE.

Bottom line is, the film is worth watching, if only for the plethora of references made to it.  If you haven't seen it, check it out.  At least you'll know what the heck they're talking about.   

No comments: